With breakout rooms, moderators will have privilege functionalities and a different invite URL to join the room only during the event dates given in the admin panel.
First things first, you can access the breakout rooms from the admin panel. If you don't have access to the admin panel, please contact the event organizers directly to get the Host URL.
When creating the first breakout room, hosts have exclusive rights to interact with participants and control the session settings. You can test the rooms before the event starts through the Host URL and Attendee URL, and they will get activated only during the event.
Furthermore, to record breakout room sessions with a few steps, it's essential to know how to save your recordings from the browser. Last but not least, we wanted to give you a head-up on the limitations these features have. So let's dive into what you can expect as a room host.
- Host privileges
- What host settings are there in a breakout room?
- How to test breakout rooms? (steps)
- Using Breakout Groups
- Best practices
❗Attention event organizerOnce a room reaches the end time, it will close immediately without any warning. If you're unsure whether the sessions will last longer than the time specified, please extend the duration and use the timer to track the timing of your sessions.
Any person who enters the room through the Host URL has privileges to control the room during the event.
We recommend having a host to the event organizer team and a session/room co-host to help during the session.
🔍 Additionally, it's recommended to have a maximum of 3 moderators (1 primary moderator and two supporters).
As a host, you can:
👉control participant traffic and engage with participants, by
- muting and asking participants to turn their cam/mic on/off,
- removing participants,
- locking the room, and letting people in,
- asking participants to share their screen,
- giving the spotlight to any participant
👉 have complete control of the meeting settings such as
- sharing your screen or using the integrations available
(Google Drive, Youtube videos, Trello and Miro whiteboard)
- recording the meeting,
- locking the room, so you can control who joins the meeting
- participants settings, and
- hiding/unhiding the timer.
❗Host settings vary for particular participants (speakers, sponsors, and guests) who join your event outside Brella. Read more on this: Breakout rooms view for participants.
Testing the breakout rooms
🚨We recommend trying this functionality before the event starts.
To test a breakout room:
- First, go to the admin panel and navigate to Details.
- Create a Breakout room in the Breakout rooms tab, invite your team and run the tests.
- Once you're done, delete the test room or keep it and replace it with actual content.
- Have a look at 👉 What host settings are there in a breakout room?
Additionally, when testing, ensure understanding how the Attendee view differs when one attends the session through and outside Brella.
Using Breakout Groups
When using the breakout rooms, you can create groups inside the breakout rooms and assign people during the event in a matter of minutes.
❗Only attendees joining through the Attendee URL can be assigned a group.
- How to start breakout groups?
- How to assign participants to groups?
- How to communicate with participants
Breakout room limitations
- It's recommended to have a maximum of 3 moderators. (1 primary and two supporters).
- The breakout room capacity allows up to 100 participants in one room, and only 12 can have video and audio on. This number includes the moderators.
- The way participants enable their cam/mics on and off works in a first-come-first-served method. For example, if in a session, there are already 12 participants with video and audio on, but a moderator wants to give a participant the option to turn their cam/mic, the moderator will need to ask a participant with the enabled cam/mic to turn theirs to allow the other participant to talk/be seen by the rest of the audience.
- When recording a session, the recording will be saved in your browser. You'll need to download it and convert it to the required format to share the recording anywhere.
- Once the room reaches the end, the room will close without any warning! So please be aware of that! One way to tackle that, you can use the timer in the room settings.
- You cannot delete chat messages.
- Attendee list export is unavailable.
- Live streaming is not possible, but you can share pre-recorded videos through a breakout room, share your screen as a host, share a youtube video, share a whiteboard (Miro). Details in this article.
- Breakout rooms analytics is unavailable.
Last updated on October 2021.
Written by Stephanie Campano Valenzuela.
If you didn't find an answer to your questions, please get in touch with the Support Team here.